A well-made macaron is pure confection heaven. Add Amarula to the recipe and enjoy an extra special taste of Africa!
Jabulani Executive chef, Dylan Frost has shared his “Amacaron” recipe for you to try your hand at, at home.
Amarula has a special place in our hearts at JABULANI, as both Sebakwe and Jabulani, two of the older bulls of the Jabulani Herd, have appeared in various Amarula marketing campaigns. You may recognise him in this previous campaign:
THE RECIPE (USING REGULAR FLOUR – NUT FREE)
INGREDIENTS for AMACARON SHELLS
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 tablespoons castor sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon 1⁄2 cup all purpose flour (65 g)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar) (55 g)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5ml Amarula
BUTTER ICING INGREDIENTS
- 250g butter room temperature
- 450g powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 25ml Amarula
METHOD FOR MAKING AMACARON SHELLS
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until frothy
- Gradually add the castor sugar until stiff peaks form
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour and powdered sugar (icing sugar) together. Then, sift the flour and powdered sugar (icing sugar) mixture into the egg white mixture
- Add the vanilla extract, and gel food colouring if you want the macarons to be coloured
- Gently fold all the ingredients together
- Transfer the batter into a piping bag with a rounded tip
- Pipe the macarons onto a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently tap the baking sheet on a flat surface a few times to release air bubbles
- Let the macarons sit at room temperature for about 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 140 Celsius
- Bake the macarons for 17-20 minutes
- Allow the macarons to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer the macarons onto a cooling rack
- Add a dollop of butter icing or any icing of your choice to one of the macaron shells, then top it with another macaron shell to create a sandwich.
BUTTER ICING METHOD
Mix powdered sugar (icing sugar) and butter together and mix the Amarula in once mixed throughly.
We hope you enjoy the recipe – please do share your Amacaron kitchen success stories by emailing us at email@example.com!