Many people enjoy a glass of brandy as their drink of choice. Today I decided to get creative with this beverage, and prepare a delicious dessert perfect for chilly nights. This one is a guaranteed belly-warmer!
- 250g dates, stoned and finely chopped
- 5 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 250ml boiling water
- 125g margarine
- 200g sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 240g cake flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 2ml salt
- 250ml walnuts or pecan nuts, chopped
Ingredients for sauce
- 300ml sugar
- 15ml butter
- 200ml water
- 5ml vanilla essence 2 ml salt
- 25ml brandy
Preheat oven to 180° C.
- Divide chopped dates into 2 portions.
- Add bicarbonate of soda and boiling water to 1 portion and mix well. Leave to cool.
- Cream margarine and sugar, then beat in eggs.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt over mixture and fold in.
- Add dry portions of dates and walnuts, and blend well.
- Stir in bicarbonate of soda mixture, blend thoroughly and turn batter out into a large baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until firm.
- Heat sugar, butter and water for 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove and stir in vanilla essence, salt and brandy.
- Pour sauce over pudding as soon as it comes out of the oven and serve hot or cold with whipped cream.
A good one to prep for friends, or simply for yourself if a little decadence is what you are after.